Thursday, April 22, 2010

Spring Training

During this past Christmas holiday, I transferred some of my old Beta tapes to DVD and made mp4s to post on YouTube. There was some dodgy material in there, but also a few gems from 1999-2001.

The first PKG that I produced stands up pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhR_VMMV93U

This edit won a NATOA Award in 2001:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLxpr2f4hUo

For me, the most interesting stuff was finding all of the old PSAs that I used to make for Washington, DC's Office of Cable Television and Telecommunications. It was a very "Iron Chef" situation. You would have two hours to create something by using the materials that you could find around the office.

I realized how out of practice I've become at making :30 spots. The "tilt-shift" video for the Small Business Commission that I did last year was really cool... but it took three days to put it all together.



So this month is spring training for PSA season. Getting back into the "Part Animal, Part Machine" mindset hasn't been easy, though. There were a few edit sequences that didn't make it to tape... one dodgy PSA that actually did hit the air... and finally, a winner of sorts:



It looks and feels like 2003, but it went from an email request to a finished product in 1 hour and 56 minutes. Winner!

No comments: